Monday, June 29, 2009

Better Living Through Chemistry

I'm feeling like a bit of a fraud. The one remark that I hear over and over again from all of my wonderfully supportive friends and family is that my attitude is "great", "amazingly positive", etc. I suppose I am pretty positive, but I have to admit that my attitude is chemically enhanced. Yes, I have the wonderful Vicodin and Percocet which make me kind of loopy. But while I was in Kessler, I was also put on, what I like to call "happy pills". The brand name is Celexa and it is an anti-depressant.

While I was in Kessler, Joyce, the center's psychologist, came to talk to me in the gym one day. The woman had me pegged within 10 minutes. She said she could quite literally see the control I was exerting as the emotions roiled right beneath the surface. After talking further she said, "What would you say if I suggested putting you on an anti-depressant?' I said, "You wouldn't be the first." I was never the most emotionally stable person to begin with for a variety of reasons. I was in kind of a holding pattern type of depression before the accident, unable to figure out how to get to the next step in my life. I also tend to tamp down the emotions and keep a tight rein on them. I hate letting people see me cry.

Three weeks after the accident, I had never really let go of my feelings. I had cried a little in frustration while waiting for my hip surgery to be scheduled. I had cried a little in anger and frustration when I had to ring 3 times and wait 30 minutes for someone to bring me a bed pan, When the aide finally did bring it, she asked why I was crying and I said, "They're not tears. It's urine leaking out of my eyeballs because I have to pee so badly." One thing that made me not want to let go of my emotions while I was in the hospital was multiple admonishments from nurses and aides when I did cry a little. They would tell me that I had no reason to cry because I was alive and I would walk again and that was more than some people.

I think another reason why I hadn't really cried about the accident and the situation was that I was still sort of in denial about the severity of the accident and my injuries. When I was in the emergency room, I called my boss to tell him I didn't think I would make it into the office on Monday. When I got done with the surgeries I figured I'd be going back to work in a month. A bit unrealistic I know now.

That morning, three weeks to the day after the accident, I woke up and I could feel it coming. All I wanted to do was cry. Of course, since I don't want others to see me cry, I struggled to keep the lid on it as I ate breakfast and got dressed for the day. As soon I was set in my wheelchair, I wheeled myself out of the room, down the hall and out the door to the patio. I kept my back to the building and the torrent unleashed. I cried. Not a couple of tears, but huge body wracking sobs. The nurse came out and asked if I was okay and I told her that I just needed to be alone for a few and let it out and she left. As the tears kept coming, another woman came out and set a box of tissues down on the table next me and sat quietly on the bench. Eventually as the sobs petered out, she said, "Sometimes you just need to cry. It's okay." She had been visiting with her father and saw me out the window. We talked a little about my frustrations and my pain. My loss of independence and control over my life. Actually, I talked and she listened. She didn't offer platitudes or tell me I had nothing to cry about. She was just there. I never found out her name, but I will never forget her and her kindness.

I think the major component of my good attitude is a sort of acceptance. I've always been the type of person, who when confronted with an obstacle or challenge, just sets out to deal with because there is no choice in the matter. My brother and I would joke in the hospital that there was no such thing as dignity and modesty in a hospital. So I accepted it and just went with the flow, it made life easier. I joked when the ortho residents, two young guys I referred to as Tweedledee and Tweedledum, came in to change my surgical dressings. I mean, what else can you do when your naughty bits are exposed to the world while they are sticking gauze to your ass and then on your abdomen, taping it in such a way, that I think the hospital will charge me for a Brazilian bikini wax. Another time, while under the influence of lots of morphine, they rolled me to get to the ass bandages and I ended up with my face right in the crotch of a very cute resident. I looked up at him and said, "You're very cute, but I usually at least get dinner first." In another bed pan incident, I had rung for a bed pan and the aide who came in was a young man named Michael. He paused and said, "Would you like me to send in a female aide?" I told him no and that I was sure I didn't have any bits he hadn't seen before. (Although I'm also pretty sure he wasn't interested in my type of bits...) He turned out to be one of my favorite aides.

By my last days at University Hospital, I was so tired of being poked and prodded and taped and answering the same questions over and over and then being discussed like I wasn't even there. Since the hospital was a teaching hospital, every morning the roving band of students (who we referred to as "the pod" or "the horde") would come in and go over my case. One morning, they walked in and I said, "So Doc, have you figured out what's wrong with me yet?" One student laughed out loud, but the rest just looked confused.

Ultimately, I think my attitude about the whole situation comes from the idea that if I don't laugh about it, I'll cry. Things are what they are. I can't change what happened, all I can do is get through it. And the way to get through it is to focus on the good things and the funny parts. Of course a little chemical boost makes this a lot easier. Scott says that I've become a lot more even tempered since starting the Celexa. I suppose that's one more good thing.

9 comments:

BIG ED said...

I know Chemistry helps but I wish I was closer to give you a well padded shoulder to use when you do need one of those good cries. I'm sure Scott is there with his shoulder even though it's less padded then mine.

Nanette said...

:) Great post.. Made me cry!! You are great Laura..
I hope one day I get the chance to meet you.
Love and muchos huggos
Nanni

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

this is a wonderful post honey, honest and cathartic. i think sometimes people just say things because they don't know WHAT to say and end up making it worse. keep your humor, it'll go a long way to get you through. i'll trade nurse stories with you one day...

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Lauren in Oregon said...

I always said that I lost all modesty after childbirth. I think you have definately got that beat! I can't imagine what you've been through, and I KNOW my attitude would be terrible. Good for you for taking the anti-depressant. I hope I would do the same thing.

Welcome to the Madness said...

Laughter IS the best medicine. Take it from one who knows. Why do you think I joke about my boobs all the time? It's because if I didn't joke I would cry.
That's not to say I don't cry. And I swear, if I had been there when a nurse or aide told you not to cry and to realize how lucky you were to live, I would have knocked them over the head with a bed pan!
Here's something that I'm sure will make you smile; I'm copying my medical records to take with me when I move. About a year ago, I had a CT of the chest, to check for pneumonia. I just yesterday read the report. It states, "...it is difficult to view the lungs as the patient has quite dense, calcified breast implants." Go figure.
Keep your chin up babe...laugh often and cry when needed...you're allowed.
kisses,
Princess Elaine, the implanted

Anonymous said...

Hey Laura.
Bet you didn't know that I was following this blog!

I've been logging on intermittently for months. Something made me log on tonight. I am so glad that you are back on line.

Though I know much of this sobering story, I think you have been more open about your emotions in these various entries and I am moved again by your courage.

I am writing in response to your comments about the woman with the kleenex box. I remember you telling me this story but seeing it again at some distance, I am struck by the reality of what actually happened.

This woman was an angel sent to you.

Years ago I read an article that described angels as everyday people--you and me-- answering a call to help. Usually this person comes and goes without ever knowing their identity....as you described. This article also went on to say that we all need to be very aware of when we are called to be an anonymous angel.

I am so glad that you were sent an angel. I know that you are being watched over but angels are special gifts.

Nancy T

Anonymous said...

It's time to start posting again :)

Anonymous said...

whoah this blog is great i love reading your articles.
Stay up the good work! You already know, a
lot of individuals are hunting round for this information, you
can aid them greatly.

Here is my blog; viewmymessage

Anonymous said...

Rаn across уοuг blog thrοugh http://divetrash.
blogspot.com/. Dο you have anу kinԁ of techniques
on methods to gеt postеd in httр://divetгaѕh.
blogspot.com/? Ӏ've been working on it for a while but they still won't acсept mе.
Аρpreciate it

Also viѕіt my pagе; chasseurs