Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Day 52: Sore Sides and Sweaty Hair

Ahhhhhh... I just got back from tonight's exercise: walking. I did my regular 3+ mile loop. It keeps me close to the river and there is a nice breeze you get off the water to help keep me cool on this extra warm night. It seems I've also missed my strolls around town. I haven't reached the point of getting a "runner's high" yet. But this exercising stuff is really starting to grow on me I think.

It's not pretty for sure. When I get done with a hike or yoga class or one of my Hoboken walks, I'm usually, quite literally dripping with sweat. My hair is soaked. My shirt is soaked. Even my underwear is damp. And in the case of a hike, my hat and shorts are pretty wet as well. My face is flushed, my mascara is running, (if it's a weeknight). And sometimes, some of my muscles and joints continue to pay the price the following day. I realized when I got back from work and walking, that even though it seemed okay slipping back into my yoga routine, my sides are paying the price today. Jody had us doing a lot of twisting poses and the poor muscles along my sides got quite the workout. Any time I turned, or walked quickly, or got up from a chair, the muscles in my sides made their presence known. What's the old saying, "No Pain, No Gain"? My right knee is still a bit stiff and sore from the lack of support I had been giving it, while favoring my left knee. I'm hoping that loosens up soon.

But on the other hand, when I finish whichever exercise I've chosen for the day, I have a general sense of satisfaction. My lungs feel more open. My muscles are warm and loose. And especially in the case of yoga, I feel calmer and more centered. And as sore as they are, I'm also getting my sides back. One of the benefits of all the hiking I did that one year was that my sides tightened up and became a smooth curve making my hourglass shape more of an hourglass and less of a partially squeezed tube of cookie dough. I noticed it this evening as I was walking up the hill at Stevens Tech and I put my hands on my waist as I normally do. The smooth curves are definitely returning.

Perhaps once I get fully back in the swing after my lost weekend, I'll reach the point of the runner's high and it will be less of a chore to drag my ass off the couch and into activity. DHPs and other exercise freaks (and I'm at the point, where freaks is still the right word) always talk about how they look forward to their exercise time. How their day isn't complete unless they've been able to do their regular exercise routine. Umm... okay... when does that kick in exactly? Because I'm looking forward to that moment. That moment in time when surfing the internet or curling up and watching "Scarecrow & Mrs. King" is less appealing than making myself sweaty and sore. I'm not sure I believe that day will ever come, particularly in the case of "Scarecrow & Mrs. King."

I'm running a little behind with the posting of the blogs I know. I'm hoping to catch up today. But thanks all for sticking with me!

7 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

52 days already! wow... you rock princess laura!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

EVERYTHING YOU ARE DOING SOUNDS AMAZING TO ME. HELL, I HAVE TROUBLE WALKING WITHOUT FALLING. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, PRINCESS.

HUGS,

CATMAMA aka Lori

Unknown said...

OMG!
is this blog ever going to be updated?????

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

okay princess laura, are you still there? i know you are because i saw you posted on cc yesterday! i have my ways! ha ha ha

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

princess laura???
princess laura???

where are you?????

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxxoox

Anonymous said...

anybody here? did you fall off the wagon?

Anonymous said...

I know your there someplace.

ED